MIGRANT ENTREPRENEUR OF THE YEAR
THE COMPETITION HAS ENDED. We received 96 nominations. THE WINNER WAS ANNOUNCED ON 11.12.2019.
A NEW COMPETITION WILL TAKE PLACE IN 2020.
The aim of the Suomen Yrittäjät Migrant Entrepreneur of the Year competition is to acknowledge and highlight entrepreneurs who have moved to Finland.
- When choosing the winner, the story is given more weight than business results.
- The chosen winner will have found a way to do business in Finnish society, despite the challenges of language barriers and cultural differences.
- They will be an engaging example to other immigrants and respected in his or her own community.
- Their business must be profitable and have growth prospects.
- The entrepreneur must have taken care of all their legal obligations concerning the business and must have a solid reputation
- This entrepreneur will convey a positive attitude to life and business.
- The chosen winner may either operate a single-person business or be an employer, or even a pair or team of entrepreneurs.
Who can nominate the winner?
Anyone may submit a nomination in Finnish or English by 20 November. Suomen Yrittäjät will process the nominations, after which a dedicated jury will choose the winner and runners-up from among five finalists. The winner will receive a €3,000 prize from the Elo Mutual Pension Insurance Company, while those awarded second and third place will receive a certificate.
To be nominated for the competition, the immigrant entrepreneur must meet the following conditions:
- - The entrepreneur was not born in Finland.
- - Their native langauge is not Finnish, Swedish or Saame.
- - The business’s finances must be in order.
- - The entrepreneur has registered a business in Finland which has been operational for at least three years.
- - A pair or team of entrepreneurs may be nominated for the competition. A single-person business may also be nominated.
- - A member of the Suomen Yrittäjät immigrant entrepreneur network management team may not be nominated.